5 Resources on Repiping for Homeowners
Repiping can be a tough decision for any homeowner, it’s a labor intensive job but sometimes it’s necessary. We’ve compiled 10 resources on repiping that should help with your decision. If you need repiping in Las Vegas, feel free to give us a call at (702) 460-9426. We’re located in Las Vegas, and have plumbers around the valley including Henderson and Summerlin.
1. Time – Good pipes should last 25 to 50 years, but some homeowners are seeing corrosion and rusty pipes after just 5-10 years. What you’ll need to look for are symptoms. Scott English Plumbing has compiled a resource on How to Tell if it’s Time to Repipe Your Home that should help you identify a problem. If you’re in Vegas, feel free to give us a call and we can provide a free estimate. Sometimes it could be something easier, like your water heater or water softener, and having an expert plumber could help point you in the right direction.
2. Visible Damage – Taking the right safety precautions, an easy sign of a repiping job is when you can see visible damage on your pipes such as leaks or corrosion. You can even tell from your water, you could have poor temperature control, it could have a reddish cast to the water, a funny smell, etc. If you have any of these symptoms, it’s definitely time to call a plumber.
3. Find out from your neighbors – If you’re homes are built around the same time, and they’ve experienced issues chances are you might run into the same issues sooner or later. For instance, a lot of homes built before the 1970’s used galvanized piping, which are susceptible to corrosion. If you have an older home and you’re seeing low water pressure, rusty water, or leaky pipes definitely call your local plumber. Again, if you’re in Las Vegas, feel free to call us at (702) 460-9426.
4. Piping manufacturers involved in class action lawsuit – Some examples, Ki-Tec and RTI material are involved in class action lawsuits, and we would highly recommend repiping because their material is not only inferior, but dangerous as it could burst at any time.
5. Our Recommendation – We recommend Wirsbo to all our clients, as they’re backed by a 25 year warranty. Copper is another good option, but it’s also twice the price for materials and labor. If you need help deciding, feel free to email or give us a call at the number above.
Lastly, Repiping.com has an excellent resource on helping you come to a decision regarding repiping, and if you have any questions feel free to give us a call as well. Also checkout our page on Water Conditioning System and it’s pros and cons.